Bill Bone Gravel Fort Lauderdale
November 13 @ 8:00 am$49
New location, new course for 2022
Time & Location
Nov 13, 8:00 AM
Fort Lauderdale, 21940 Griffin Rd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33332, USA
DATE – SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2022 (8:00 AM)
COURSE MAP CLICK HERE – Download the GPX file to your bike computer, view the Strava and Ride with GPS links. The 30 mile groups will complete one full lap, plus the interior loop. The 60 mile groups will complete this twice. The 20 mile Gravel Adventure group will ‘skip’ the interior loop and head back to Everglades Holiday Park. There is Neutral Support at Mile 20 for all groups. The 30 & 60 mile groups will also pass the same support tent at Mile 25. NOTE: There are 4 spillways starting just past Mile 10 (Mack’s Fish Camp). The depths of the spillways are dependent upon rainfall amounts (as of this writing (July 2022) they are knee high. When approaching these spillways you will decend down towards them and the gravel is loose, so use caution. If you are not a highly skilled rider you should dismount off your bike and walk it down and carry your bike through the water providing that the water is deep in November (we will keep you posted). Then you will run/walk you bike up to the top off the levee road. Please also be advised that you are in the middle of the Florida Everglades and there may be snakes, alligators in the area so use caution at all times.
COST OF EVENT – $49 early fee by November 6, 2022 for the 20-mile Gravel Adventure course, $59 early for the 30-mile course and $69 for the 60 mile course. Add $10 after that. – Entry fee includes; Post event food by PDQ (chicken, salads, etc), drinks, custom event shirts, insurance fee, custom award medals, professional chip timing and neutral support. Registration closes at 11:59pm on November 12, 2022. Event Day add $10.
RACE NUMBER PICK-UP / REGISTRATION: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2022 (3PM TO 6PM) – PICKUP LOCATION TO BE DETERMINED
EVENT DAY PACKET PICKUP AND REGISTRATION IS AVAILABLE AT 6AM
LOCATION START/FINISH: Everglades Holiday Park – 21940 Griffin Road, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33332
60 Miles Gravel Categories (No Aero Bars Permitted)
Men Masters 40+ 50+ 60+
Women Masters 40+ 50+ 60+
30 Mile Gravel Categories
Men/Women – Fat Tire (No Gravel Bike with Fat Tires – This is a Mountain Bike)
Men/Women – Intermediate
Men/Women – Beginner (First Timers/No Sandbaggers)
20 Mile Gravel Adventure
Men/Women – You may use any bike for the Gravel Adventure. The course is challenging and very fun. The group is not for the riders who want to complete for an award, but are focused on the perosnal accomplishment and post event activities.
EVENT NUMBER/CHIP POSITION – Warning – There is a timing chip on the back of your event number – Please do not tie wrap the number to your seat post or any other tube. You must place it on the front of your bike (yes, we know it causes wind drag) so we can see your number and more importantly the chip reads correctly. And remember, if you wrap it, and it does not get a chip read, its your fault.
AWARDS – The top 3 in each category
POST EVENT GRUB – PDQ, Just Made Better will be out providing their menu (chicken, salads, etc.) and fresh fruit for all of the riders.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC COURSE – Please remember that the course is open to the public and that there will be other recreational riders on the gravel roads. Beware that many animals live in the preserve (horses, alligators, deer, bears, snakes, etc.). It is your responsibility to ride safely. Please stay to the right side of the gravel rode (just like driving).
NEUTRAL SUPPORT TENTS will be provided, Water (no bottles) and snacks. A first aid kit will also be available.
SMILE – VeloPista Photo will be out on course taking your pics. These photos are normally available the next day the link provided.
COFFEE IS SERVED – We will have coffee in the morning just in case you forget.
GATES LOCKED – Gates owned by the South Florida Management District will remain locked.
LITTERING – Please do not litter our precious Everglades. What you carry in with you, you should also carry out.
BIKE PREPAREDNESS – It is your responsibility to be prepared for your gravel adventure. Please prepare for flat tires, hot weather, etc. See things to remember below.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
• Pick the right bike for the ride. (Gravel/Dirt specifics, mountain bike or fat tire bicycle).
• Road ID
• Health Insurance Card, ID, Credit Card, Cash and Phone on a waterproof protected case.
• Extra Tubes and air.
• Basic tools
• Gels, bar, snack
• Hydration (at least one 22oz bottle per hour) or (hydration backpack). NOTE: Any small backpack can help you carry extra hydration and basic tools/safety items.
• Small/Basic First-Aid Pack
PLAY IT SAFE
• Always wear a helmet and please no aero-bars.
• Check weather forecast. (Events usually post cancellations due to bad weather one hour before event starts).
• Road ID App. Great features like “Lock Screen” and “Tracking Notifications” (FREE and it works awesome, visit www.RoadID.com
• Have your bicycle inspected for your own safety and the safety of others riding with you.
• Say “NO to Flats” by checking the condition “wear & tear” of your tires and making sure they are properly inflated. No joke, don’t be that guy, HA!
• Sunblock and Bug repellent
• Look ahead for slippery or loose surface and potential hazards.
• Pick your distance based on your ability.
• Safety first, you should not ride alone!
• ALWAYS USE COMMON SENSE.
• Must be self-sufficient.
• Have a plan and let others know where you are headed and approximate time.
• Please Don’t wear earbuds, this is good group ride etiquette and a courtesy for your safety and the safety of others.
• CALL 911 in case of an emergency
*The South Florida Water Management District does not charge a fee to enter or use any lands provided by the District to the public for outdoor recreational purposes. Any applicable fee, registration fee, ticket price or any other fee charged or donation accepted by the organization hosting an event on any lands provided by the District to the public for outdoor recreation purposes is not and shall not be considered a fee to enter or use the property